An inspection of the Gorbals Water Works near Darnley, 27 September 1899, by a group of councillors and officials led by Lord Provost Sir David Richmond.
The Gorbals Gravitation Water Company was set up in 1846 to supply water to areas south of the Clyde. In 1855 the council acquired the business. The works drew on water from the Brock Burn to feed the Balgray, Ryat Linn, Waulkmill Glen and Littleton Reservoirs. The water was purified at two sets of filter beds and pumped to the city through two 24-inch diameter cast-iron mains pipes.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Balgray Reservoir, Brock Burn, burns, Glasgow Corporation, Gorbals Gravitational Water Co, Gorbals Water Works, Littleton Reservoir, Lord Provosts, reservoirs, Ryat Linn Reservoir, water mains, waterfalls, Waulkmillglen Reservoir