Riveters at work in Lambhill Iron Works c 1930s. The men are using hydraulic rivet guns and two men who appear to be a foreman (in the bowler hat) and a manager are inspecting their handiework.
During the second half of the 19th century builders and civil engineering contractors made increasing use of cast- and wrought-iron in the construction of buildings, gasworks, piers, bridges and other structures. R Laidlaw & Son (gas and water engineers) was one of the companies which prospered by catering for this growing market.
The company was founded in the 1850s and in 1881 opened the Lambhill Iron Works. The engineering workshops were housed in single-story buildings in Strachur Street. The workshop shown here is a steel-framed structure with corrugated-iron cladding and a glass roof. There is an overhead travelling crane in the background, used to lift and shift heavy machinery and ironwork.
Reference: 200.82.257 / PP.1982.206.2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bowler hats, cast-iron, engineering, engineering workshops, engineers, foremen, hydraulic rivet guns, Lambhill Iron Works, overhead travelling cranes, R Laidlaw & Son, riveters, riveting, structural engineering, structural engineers, wrought-iron