Drilling strip metal at Lambhill Iron Works c 1930s.
The iron works was established in 1881 by R Laidlaw & Son and consisted of a group of single story engineering workshops in Strachur Street. The firm specialised in gas, water and structural engineering. Subsequently known as Laidlaw Sons & Caine, it had a wharf on the Forth and Clyde Canal which was used for transporting out finished goods and receiving raw materials.
Reference: 200.82.259 / PP.1982.206.4
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
drilling, engineering, engineering workshops, engineers, Forth and Clyde Canal, Laidlaw Sons & Caine, Lambhill Iron Works, R Laidlaw & Son, strip metal, wharves