A welder at Lambhill Iron Works, c 1930s.
The Lambhill Iron Works was built in Strachur Street from 1881 for R Laidlaw & Son (later Laidlaw Sons & Caine), a company founded c 1853 and specialising in gas and water engineering. The works produced pipes, machinery and other equipment and also undertook heavy structural engineering, taking advantage of the demand for cast- and wrought-iron components for buildings, piers, bridges and other structures.
Reference: 200.82.260 / PP.1982.206.5
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
engineering, gas engineers, Laidlaw Sons & Caine, Lambhill Iron Works, R Laidlaw & Son, structural engineers, water engineers, welders, welding