Children at Glasgow Green in 1929.
Behind these four children, wrapped-up well against the winter weather, can be seen the Bailie James Martin Memorial Fountain. Also known as the Saracen Fountain (because it was made at the Saracen Foundry run by Walter Macfarlane & Co) it was ordered in 1893 and inaugurated in 1894. The fountain uses a pattern which was registered by the company in 1860 and which was possibly designed by James Boucher (1832-1906) who did a lot of work for the Saracen Foundry.
James Martin (1815-92) represented Whitevale Ward from 1870. A Radical in his politics, he was nicknamed "the East End Tribune". He was also Master of Works from 1886 as well as a member of the Clyde Navigation Trust, a Justice of the Peace and a Police Judge. The fountain was paid for by public subscription.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bailie James Martin Memorial Fountain, children, Clyde Navigation Trust, councillors, fashions, fountains, girls, Glasgow Green, Justices of the Peace, Masters of Works, parks, Radicals, Saracen Foundry, Saracen Fountain, Walter Macfarlane & Co