Young girls packing chocolates at Agnew's sweet factory in Well Street, between Bain Street and Claythorn Street in the Calton, early 20th century.
Sugar refining began in Glasgow in the late 17th century and continued until the last refinery closed in the 1880s. The city's confectionery industry became significant from the 1860s, and the closure of the local refineries seems to have had little effect on its fortunes. In fact, the manufacture of jam and confectionary expanded rapidly after 1880 with the greater availability of cheap imported sugar.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Agnew's Sweet Factory, chocolates, confectioners, confectionery factories, girls, imports, packaging, packing, production lines, sugar, sugar refineries, sweet factories, women