The interior of St Andrew's Parish Church, probably early in the 20th century.
This church was designed by the architect Allan Dreghorn (1706-1764) and built between 1739 and 1756 by master mason Mungo Naismith. It was based on a design by James Gibbs for the St-Martin's-in-the-Field church in London. The interior has lavish 18th century rococo plasterwork by Thomas Clayton (1710-1760) and 19th century stained glass windows. The carved mahogany pulpit seen here has an elegant wine-glass design and is reached by means of a curving stair.
The church was refurbished and re-opened in 2000 as St Andrew's in the Square, a venue for traditional Scottish music, song and dance.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
churches, concert halls, concert venues, interiors, music venues, plasterwork, pulpits, rococo, St Andrew's in the Square, St Andrew's Parish Church, stained glass windows, stairs