A Glasgow Corporation tenement in Calton, early 20th century.
The tenement pictured here was probably erected under the powers granted by the Glasgow Corporation (Improvements and General Powers) Act of 1897 to re-house families from congested areas in new homes in Calton, Bridgeton, Parkhead, Kennyhill and the city centre. Corporation housing was generally considered to offer a higher standard of comfort for poor tenants than the privately-owned equivalents.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
children, council houses, Glasgow Corporation houses, lamp posts, shawls, street lighting, streetscenes, tenements, women