Greenhead Public Baths and Wash-house in William Street (later Templeton Street) in the early 20th century.
Opened in 1878, this facility replaced the old public wash-house, which was knocked down in 1876. The new building had a large swimming pool for men (75 x 40 feet) and a small one for women (40 x 20 feet) as well as twenty-seven private baths for men and seven for women. The attached wash-house had space for forty people to do their laundry, and has been called Glasgow's first "steamie".
Despite damage and temporary closure during the Second World War the building remained in use until 1960, when it was demolished to make way for an extension to Templeton's carpet factory.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
baths, carpet manufacturers, children, Greenhead Public Baths and Washing-house, James Templeton & Co, laundries, Second World War, steamies, swimming pools, Templeton's Carpret Factory, wash-houses, washing, women