Children (many in bare feet) in a play park on Glasgow Green, c 1916. The photograph was probably taken by Peter Fyfe, the city's Chief Sanitary Inspector, who had brought the creation and control of playground facilities within the juristiction of the Sanitary Department in his campaign to improve the health and living conditions of the city's poor.
From 1889 the Sanitary Department was responsible for constructing and maintaining children's playgrounds. Over time the Department obtained plots of land and converted them into playgrounds by putting up railings and installing swings, may-poles, joy-wheels, ladders and so on. Caretakers were appointed to look after each playground.By 1914 the Corporation had opened twenty-seven playgrounds and another three were under construction. There were seven more attached to public schools and been fitted up by the Sanitary Department on the understanding that they would be open to children after school hours. The school janitors were responsible for their upkeep and were paid an extra 5 shillings (25p) a week for the work.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bare feet, Chief Sanitary Inspectors, children, girls, Glasgow Corporation Sanitary Department, Glasgow Green Children's Play Park, parks, play parks, playgrounds, Sanitary Department, swings