Market scene at "the Barras, Moncur Street, 1926. A trader is trying to convince a crowd of the superior cleaning powers of "The Original Lightning Cleaner".
Maggie McIver acquired land in the area between Gallowgate and London Road in Calton in 1923, and hired out stances to market traders. Originally, the traders set up their barrows in the open air, but in 1926 McIver erected a covered market stance in Moncur Street, pictured here. Later, fixed market stalls were set out in the covered areas, allowing many traders to abandon the traditional barrows that had given the market its name.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barras, bicycles, covered markets, laundry, market traders, Moncur Street Market, Original Lightning Cleaner, street traders, streetscenes