Second-hand clothing for sale from barrows in the Calton. The photograph is one of a series by Peter Fyfe, Glasgow's Chief Sanitary Inspector, c 1916.
A street trader has used the railings behind a tenement backcourt as hangers for some of the clothes she is offering for sale. A fancy dress can be seen hanging up behind the girl who is chatting to the bare-foot boy out shopping with his mother.
The barrow on the right appears to have the name McIver written on the side. Maggie McIver hired out barrows from her yard at Marshall Lane in Calton, and in 1923 she acquired this site near Moncur Street and established the famous weekly market known as The Barras there.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
backcourts, bare feet, barrows, boys, children, clothes stalls, coats, dresses, girls, markets, second-hand clothing, street traders, The Barras