Street traders with their barrows at a market on waste ground in Calton, c 1916. Among the second-hand goods offered for sale are a set of golf clubs, an array of braces and a variety of kitchen utensils. The Barras market was subsequently built on the site.
This photograph was taken by Peter Fyfe, Glasgow Corporation's Chief Sanitary Inspector, and is one of a series he made for a lantern-slide presentation on poverty in and around Calton.
Fyfe was Glasgow's first Chief Sanitary Inspector, appointed in 1885 to head the city's new sanitary department. He divided the city into five districts and appointed fifty-one members of staff. By 1915 the department employed 224 men and women. It had a wide remit which included inspecting graveyards, burying unclaimed bodies and paupers, preventing the sale of unwholesome food, regulating lodging-houses, regulating byres, cow-sheds and pigsties, managing children's playgrounds and much more.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bare feet, Barras, barrows, boys, braces, Chief Sanitary Inspectors, children, Glasgow Corporation, golf clubs, kitchen utensils, markets, Sanitary Department, second-hand clothing, The Barras, women