Women selling second-hand clothes from a barrow on waste ground in the vicinity of Moncur Street in Calton, c 1916. The photograph is one in a series taken by Glasgow's Chief Sanitary Inspector, Peter Fyfe.
The Barras market that Glaswegians are familiar with today had its origins in the 19th century rags and second-hand clothing trade that was concentrated in the lower Saltmarket/Bridgegate area of the city. However, the demolition of tenements and backlands in Calton provided a large open space that became popular with traders before the First World War. Maggie McIver was later to acquire the land and established The Barras market there.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barrows, Chief Sanitary Inspectors, clothes stalls, hawkers, markets, parasols, rags, second-hand clothes, street traders, The Barras, women