Staff outside the Market Restaurant in Moore Street c 1895.
The Dead Meat Market was opened by the Town Council in Moore Street in 1879 as a wholesale market for animal carcases. It became the most important market in the west of Scotland for butchers and other retailers. The restaurant pictured here was presumably named for the market and its clientele would have included many of the staff and customers.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Dead Meat Market, Market Restaurant, markets, restaurants, waitresses, women