A photograph of what is described as a "coal ree" in Thomson's Lane (now Crownpoint Road) in Calton, c 1916. A man and woman are busy moving a delivery of coal from the street into a shop or store, the man apparently carrying a sieve that would have been used to filter under-sized lumps of coal and dust.
Strictly speaking a coal ree is "an enclosure for coal on sale". Above the shop entrance is a sign proclaiming that the "Best House Coals" were for sale there.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barrows, coal merchants, coal rees, coal sieves, house coals, shops, streetscenes, tenements, women