Members of the Glasgow Jewish Branch of the British Legion outside South Portland Street Synagogue c 1950s. From right to left are: Louis Epstein, Henry Slass, unknown; Freddy Bullon (Lebovitch), Hyma Romer.
This branch of the British Legion was founded in 1925. It was originally set up to provide help for ex-servicemen and the widows and dependants of men who died in the First World War. By the late 1930s the branch was also organising annual events such as an old folks' outing, a children's Chanucah treat and a memorial service attended by servicemen (Jewish and non-Jewish) from all over Scotland. Representatives attended the London Jewish National Memorial Service.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archive Centre
British Legion, charities, ex-servicemen, First World War, flags, Jews, London Jewish National Memorial Service, medals, South Portland Street Synagogue, synagogues