Staff at the Greenhead Brewery in Canning Street (now London Road) in Calton c 1890.
The Greenhead Brewery was built c 1800 by John Struthers of the Gallowgate Brewery in Kent Street, and was acquired from his son Robert by James Steel in 1853. Five years later Steel expanded his brewing business to Edinburgh, and in 1865 went into partnership with George Coulson to form Steel, Coulson & Co. Steel died in 1891 but the Greenhead Brewery continued to brew beer until 1946. The bottlers Joseph Dunn Ltd, which had leased part of the buildings since 1932, acquired the entire complex in 1960. The firm became Dunn & Moore after a merger with D & C Moore.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
beer, bottlers, bottling works, breweries, brewers, brewing, Dunn & Moore, Greenhead Brewery, Joseph Dunn, Steel, Coulson & Co