The billiard room at Pollok House.
When Sir John Stirling Maxwell inherited Pollok House and the surrounding estate in 1888 he decided to refurbish the 18th century building and to extend it. The alterations were done sympathetically by the architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, to complement the original neo-classical style. The improvements he made included installing electric lighting, a modern kitchen and additional bathrooms with hot and cold running water. He also had two new wings constructed. This billiard room is on the principal floor in one of the new wings.
Pollok House is currently managed by the National Trust for Scotland and open all year round.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
billiard rooms, billiards, mansions, National Trust for Scotland, neo-classical, Pollok House, Pollok Park