A tin-glazed earthenware bottle attributed to the Delftfield Pottery, c 1760.
The Delftfield Pottery was opened in the Broomielaw in 1748 to make tin-glazed earthenware - the only Scottish pottery to do so. The company was formed by a group of Glasgow merchants led by Lawrence Dinwiddie (1696-1764), Provost 1742-1744, and his brother Robert (1692-1770) who served as Lieutenant Governor of Virginia 1751-1757. Much of its output was exported to the American colonies. It later expanded into other ceramics such as white stoneware, creamware and pearlware before closing in 1824.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bottles, ceramics, creamware, Delftfield Pottery Co, delftware, earthenware, flowers, pearlware, potteries, stoneware, tin-glazing