A Clutha Ferry at Whiteinch, 1887 by John MacNiven (1849-1894).
MacNiven was a self-taught artist who had worked for the town council. The busy traffic on the River Clyde was a favourite subject with him. This image shows the view from the towpath at Govan looking across the river to Pointhouse, Whiteinch and the mouth of the River Kelvin.
A Clutha laden with passengers can be seen docking at Pointhouse on the north bank of the river. The Clyde Navigations Trust introduced the first ferries in 1884 to provide passenger services along the river. There were twelve operating by 1898, stopping at ten landing stages between the city centre and Whiteinch. The service was withdrawn in 1903 because it could not compete with cheap and efficient tramway and railway services along the riverside.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
artists, children, cluthas, ferries, oil paintings, River Clyde, River Kelvin, rivers, sailing ships, shipyards, women