The Corner of Stockwell Street and Great Clyde Street by William Simpson (1823-1899).
This watercolour shows the old building which stood at the west corner of Stockwell Street in 1846. It had been occupied by a variety of tradesmen and merchants in the earlier part of the 18th century before becoming the city's Custom House in 1757.
The gable end of the building, which faced Great Clyde Street, was covered in boards announcing the sailing times of steamboats. The boards on the Stockwell Street side advertise local businesses. The building was subsequently demolished and the Victoria Building erected on the site.
This watercolour is one of a series of fifty-five painted by Simpson between 1893 and 1898. Most are based on sketches he completed fifty years earlier and which originally appeared as black and white illustrations in Views and Notices of Glasgow in Former Times, published in 1848 by Allan & Ferguson.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
advertisements, casks, crow-stepped gables, Custom House, Customs and Excise, horses and carriages, horses and carts, merchants, shops, steamers, streetscenes, tradesmen, Victoria Building, watercolours, women