A colour print contrasting the views of Glasgow Harbour in 1826 and in 1866.
The views illustrate the rapid development of the Broomielaw during the mid-19th century. Although dredging had begun along the Clyde in the 1820s it was still too shallow for ocean-going vessels. The top image depicts only rowing boats and small sailing boats, with fishermen and washerwomen going about their business on the riverbank. Note the old Glasgow Bridge, with its round "safety holes" that permitted fast-flowing water to pass through when the river was in spate, and the smoking cone of the famous Glasgow landmark, the Jamaica Street Bottleworks.
By 1866 the river had been deepened and widened, greatly improving access to the city. The quays at the Broomielaw had been extended and widened, along with those on the opposite bank at Windmillcroft (better known today as Kingston). Large sailing ships and paddle steamers dominate the view.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bridges, fishermen, Glasgow Bridge, Glasgow Harbour, Jamaica Street Bridge, Jamaica Street Glassworks, laundry, laundry service suppliers, masts, paddle steamers, River Clyde, rowing boats, sailing boats, sailing ships, steam ships, washerwomen, washing tubs, weirs, women