An aerial photograph taken in May 1950 by the RAF showing the south side of Glasgow, including Auldhouse, Shawlands and Langside.
The Kilmarnock Road provides the "spine" in the photo, stretching from Shawlands in the north to Merrylee in the south. Langside lies in the top right hand corner separated from Newlands by the White Cart Water which meanders across the top half of this image. Newlands Park can be seen clearly right of centre, its pathways standing out against the dark grass.
To the west of Newlands is Auldhouse and Pollok Golf Course and Nether Pollok Playing Fields are in in the top left hand corner of the photo. The small area of fields in Hillpark to the south-west was subsequently developed for housing. Mansewood lies to the south of Hillpark and to the east of Mansewood is Merrylee and, in the bottom right corner, Muirend.
Crown copyright is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office
aerial views, fields, golf courses, housing estates, Nether Pollok Playing Fields, Newlands Park, parks, playing fields, Pollok Golf Course, Pollok Park, RAF, River Cart, rivers, roads, Royal Air Force, schools, White Cart Water