Excavations at Fossil Grove in Victoria Park, late 1880s.
The remains of fossil trees were found in 1887 when landscaping work was being carried out in a disused quarry in the newly-opened Victoria Park. The importance of the site was recognised and work began to uncover the remains and preserve them for the future.
The stumps of the fossil trees were surrounded by layers of sandstone and shale which had to be carefully removed. This photograph shows one stump which has just been uncovered, with a pile of stone rubble behind it. The fossil trees are a variety of giant clubmoss called Lepidodendron.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
excavations, Fossil Grove, fossil trees, fossils, Lepidodendrons, parks, Victoria Park