Sir David Richmond, Lord Provost of Glasgow by John Singer Sargent (1856-1925).
Richmond (1843-1900) was a director of David Richmond & Co, tube makers, and Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1896 to 1899. Glasgow Corporation was dramatically expanding its municipal services during these years. In the arts the People's Palace was opened (1898), the foundations for Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum laid (1897) and building work for the International Exhibition of 1901 started (1899). Additional electricity generating stations were provided and a municipal domestic electricity supply and an electric tramway service were inaugurated (1898). New police and fire stations were built, public baths and wash-houses such as Maryhill Baths (1898) and Springburn Baths (1898) were opened and Tollcross Park (1897) and Richmond Park (1899) were laid out.
Richmond was knighted in 1899 for his services to the city.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Lord Provosts, oil paintings, portraits, Richmond Park, tube makers