A portrait of George Murdoch (1715-1795) by David Martin (1737-1797).
Murdoch was Provost of Glasgow from 1754-1755 and again from 1766-1767. He was a merchant primarily trading in wines from Madeira, but became involved in related enterprises such as becoming a partner in a glass bottle works in 1742, and forming Murdoch & Warroch to build and operate the famous Anderston Brewery. He had children only by the first of his three wives. One of his sons, James, went to work in Madeira at the age of thirteen and another, George, ended up in Grenada. In 1767, while in his second term as Provost, Murdoch laid the foundation stone for the new Jamaica Street Bridge. A mason, in 1769 he became "Provincial Grand Master over the Counties of Lenrick, Renfrew, Air, Dumbarton and Argyle".
Murdoch is depicted here wearing a red coat and one of the wigs which were so fashionable in 18th century Glasgow.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Anderston Brewery, bottle manufacturers, bottle works, breweries, brewers, bridges, fashions, freemasons, Glasgow Bridge, Jamaica Street Bridge, lord provosts, Madeira wines, merchants, Murdoch & Warroch, oil paintings, portraits, Provincial Grand Masters, Provosts, wigs, wine merchants