Railwaymen by Stephen Adam, c 1878, is one of twenty stained glass windows made for Maryhill Burgh Halls showing local trades and professions. This window depicts a railway porter with his trolley, items of luggage and a package. In the background is a steam locomotive and its driver.
There were a number of stations in Maryhill on different railway lines. Maryhill Park Station was built to serve the Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway which was constructed in the 1850s from Helensburgh to Cowlairs (where it connected to the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway). The Kelvin Valley Railway opened in the 1870s from Maryhill to the mining village of Kilsyth. In the 1890s the Caledonian Railway Co constructed the Glasgow Central Railway and Maryhill Central Station. The GCR ran from Coatbridge and Motherwell in the east, through tunnels under the city centre, and out to the west via Partick with a branch line running north to Maryhill and beyond.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Caledonian Railway Co, Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Co, Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway Co, Kelvin Valley Railway Co, luggage, Maryhill Burgh Halls, Maryhill Central Station, Maryhill Park Station, railway lines, railway porters, railwaymen, stained glass windows, steam locomotives, train drivers, trains, trolleys