Soldiers by Stephen Adam, c 1878. This is one of a series of twenty stained glass windows from Maryhill Burgh Halls which depicted local trades and professions.
In 1869 the Government purchased 30 acres of land in Maryhill on which to build new barracks. 27 acres more were purchased later and the complex was completed in 1876, shortly before this stained glass window was made. The barracks could accommodate one infantry regiment, one cavalry squadron and one battery of field artillery. As well as living quarters for the men, it also contained parade grounds, stables, a hospital, a chapel, quarters for sick horses, a prison block, cover for field guns and exercise grounds.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museum
guns, Maryhill Barracks, Maryhill Burgh Halls, military uniforms, officers, rifles, soldiers, stained glass windows