The banner of the Anniesland branch of the Co-operative Women's Guild.
The first branch of the CWG in Glasgow was attached to the Kinning Park Co-operative Society and was founded in 1890. The Guilds provided women with an organisation which gave them a say in the direction of the Co-operative Societies, which were so important in the lives of working-class women as they provided a wide range of high-quality food, clothing and household necessities at relatively low prices. The Guilds also assumed responsibilities for offering women greater education opportunities and for campaigning on political and social issues. The Women's Guilds offered a platform for campaigners for votes for women and its members played prominent roles in the Rent Strikes and in the Women's Peace Crusade during the First World War.
The banner is decorated with Scottish thistles and the Saltire, as well as acorns and an oak leaf.
Reference: 345.86.234 / PP.1978.135.2?
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
acorns, Anniesland Co-operative Society, banners, Co-operative Women's Guild, Co-ops, Kinning Park Co-operative Society, oak leaves, Rent Strike, Saltire, shopping, shops, thistles, votes for women, women, Women's Peace Crusade, Women's suffrage