A banner of the 1870s depicting the Virgin Mary, with Latin inscription Ave Maria gratia plena.
The banner is from the Our Lady and St Francis School, for girls only, which was attached to the Franciscan convent established in 1847 in Charlotte Street. The school developed a particularly good reputation for teaching French. New buildings were erected in 1899 and the school later became a girls' comprehensive. Our Lady and St Francis Secondary School closed in 1989.
Reference: 45.90.752 / PP.1990.82
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
banners, convents, Franciscans, French, Latin, nuns, Our Lady and St Francis School, Our Lady and St Francis Secondary School, Roman Catholic Church, Roman Catholic secondary schools