The pig slaughtering hall at the Cattle and Horse Market in Graham Square, c 1911.
In 1910 30,746 pigs were slaughtered in the piggery. It was re-organised the following year and several improvements were introduced, including the installation of motor lifts so that small and medium-size pigs could be killed while hanging in mid-air. The carcase then slid onto a tube rail and down a spiral into a scalding tub. Large pigs continued to be slaughtered on the floor.
Another improvement was the provision of a gymnasium, where staff could exercise and where new employees were given basic training before they were permitted to slaughter beasts.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Cattle and horse market, cattle markets, Glasgow Corporation, gymnasia, gymnasiums, markets, Pig Slaughtering Hall, piggeries, pigs, scalding tubs, slaughterers, slaughterhouses, slaughtering, vocational training