The Glasgow Humane Society House on Glasgow Green c 1900.
The society was established in 1790 after James Coulter left £200 in his will to found a society dedicated to rescuing people from drowning in the Clyde and other Glasgow rivers.
The building shown in this photograph was erected in 1795 and extended and refurbished in 1867. It was demolished in 1937 and replaced by a new building.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Humane Society House, rescue services, rescues, River Clyde, rowers, rowing boats