A portrait of the Scottish Labour Group on Glasgow Parish Council in 1929. In the back row from left to right are T Gibson (Scottish Painters), unknown, J Rodger (Municipal Workers), Mr Mathieson and unknown. In the front row from left to right are Alex Ritchie, Christina Thomson, unknown, John Young and T Henshilwood.
In 1845 the Poor Law Amendment Act was passed, authorising Parish Councils to be set up to take responsibility for poorhouse hospitals and pauper lunatic asylums. There were initially four parishes in the Glasgow area, City, Barony, Govan and Gorbals, but Govan absorbed Gorbals in 1873 and City and Barony amalgamated in 1898 to form Glasgow Parish Council.
Parish Councils were abolished in 1929 and Glasgow Corporation assumed their responsibilities within the city.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
General and Muncipal Workers Union, Glasgow Parish Council, GMWU, Labour groups, Labour Party, lunatic asylums, parish councillors, parish councils, politicians, politics, Poor Law Amendment Act, 1845, public health, Scottish Labour Group, Scottish Painters Society, socialism, socialists, women