The entrance to the Botanic Gardens on Great Western Road, c 1920s. On a sunny day this was obviously a favourite spot to stop for a chat. Many of the people in view are dressed in their Sunday best, and appear to be relatively well-to-do residents of the city's West End.
Responsibilty for the care and mainenance of the gardens had passed to the town council in 1891 and the wrought-iron gates and the half-timbered lodges at the entrance were designed by the City Architect A B McDonald and erected in 1894.
Reporduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Botanic Gardens, children, entrances, gates, girls, lodges, nuns, park-keepers, parks, policeman, prams, women