The 1st Shettleston Company Boys' Brigade, 1911. The boys wear the Brigade's distinctive twin-striped pill box hats, along with white haversacks and brown brass-buckled belts. The officers wear Glengarry caps and tan gloves, and each carries a short cane. Many boys are holding their band instruments.
This BB company was founded in 1894 in connection with Shettleston Parish Church and met initially in Hill Street Hall. When Shettleston was annexed by Glasgow in 1912 the name of the company was changed to the 94th Glasgow (1st Shettleston) Company.
William Smith was a Sunday School teacher who found that the older boys in his class at the North Woodside Mission Sabbath School were unruly and badly behaved. To promote greater self-discipline, reverence and self-respect among his charges he founded the Boys' Brigade in 1883. The first company, which met in a hall in North Woodside Road, was composed of twenty-eight boys and three officers, with Smith as captain.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
BB, BB Bands, Boys' Brigade, children, churches, Hill Street Hall, musical instruments, Shettleston Parish Church