Children playing c 1930 at the fountain in Phoenix Park, the park laid out on the former site of Thomas Edington & Sons' Phoenix Foundry in Cowcaddens. Many of the children (some in their bathing costumes) are cooling down on a warm day by paddling in the fountain. The two women to the left of the picture must have sweltered in their heavy coats, stockings and hats.
The Phoenix Foundry moved to Garscube Road from Queen Street in 1847. It removed once more, in 1890, to St Vincent Lane, and a park was laid out on the old site. The firm was commissioned by Andrew "Sweetie" Buchanan (a partner in John Buchanan & Bros, confectionary and jam makers in Cowcaddens) to built the fountain shown here. The fountain was demolished in 1959.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bandstands, children, confectioners, fountains, jam makers, John Buchanan & Bros, parks, Phoenix Foundry, Phoenix Park, play, prams, Thomas Edington & Sons, women