The foundation stone of Glasgow City Chambers was laid on 6 October 1883 with full Masonic ceremony by Lord Provost John Ure. This photograph reveals that the site was so crowded that some enterprising Glaswegians climbed on to nearby roof tops to get a better view of the proceedings!
The building was designed by the architect William Young, and was erected at a cost of £552,028.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
foundation stones, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, masonic ceremonies