Crowds assembling in George Square (on the left) for the laying of the foundation stone of the new Glasgow City Chambers, 1883.
Every available space is being filled by onlookers, even rooftops and the scaffolding on unfinished buildings. On the right is the specially erected wooden seating for dignitaries and other guests, and a partial view of the pavilion area where the ceremony was to take place. Access to the square from North Frederick Street has been partially blocked and crowds are gathering on the other side of the barricade. Mounted soldiers line the street awaiting the arrival of the Lord Provost and the square has been decorated with flags, banners and garlands for the occasion.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
banners, cavalry, ceremonies, cranes, crowds, flags, foundation stone ceremonies, foundation stones, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, pavilions, scaffolding, soldiers, statues