The gates to the Necropolis looking out towards Cathedral Square, photographed in the early 1900s.
The gates were installed in 1833 to provide access to the "Bridge of Sighs", which carried the carriageway from the square across the Molendinar Ravine to the Necropolis. They were designed by James Hamilton, whose father David designed the bridge, and were cast at Thomas Edington & Sons' Phoenix Foundry in Queen Street.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bridge of Sighs, bridges, Cathedral Square, cemeteries, entrances, gates, graveyards, Necropolis, Phoenix Foundry, squares, Thomas Edington & Sons