Looking up High Street from Duke Street in the early 1900s.
Two policemen are strolling down the High Street among the shoppers, enjoying the sunshine. A smart carriage with its top-hatted coachman is heading east along Duke Street. On the left is a pawnbrokers' shop, easily identified by the three golden balls hanging above the doorway.
The upper part of High Street was known as "Bell o' the Brae." Its old buildings had degenerated into slums by the end of the 19th century and they were swept away by the City Improvement Trust and replaced with modern tenements, 1899-1902.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bell o' the Brae, City Improvement Trust, coachmen, horses and carriages, pawnbrokers, police officers, policemen, shops, slums, streetscenes, tenements, women