The saw grinding shop at William Cook & Sons, saw manufacturers in Finnieston, c 1910.
This man is grinding the edges of a saw to sharpen them. The large grindstone behind the operator was power-driven while the smaller stone was free on its axle. The operator slid the saw between the two stones and switched the power on. The large stone revolved quickly and sharpened one side of the metal, while the resistance at the back of the saw was sufficient to turn the small stone and to grind the other side. The grindstones reduced the saw to the required thickness or gauge, after which it received a final polish with emery powder.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
abrasive wheels, grindstones, saw grinding shops, saw manufacturers, saws, toolmakers, toolmaking, William Cook & Sons