The old Anderson's College buildings in George Street in the late 19th century.
The "Andersonian" was originally a technical school, founded in 1796 with money bequeathed by John Anderson for the creation of "an institution to be denominated Anderson's University." Anderson had been Professor of Oriental Languages and of Natural Philosophy at the University of Glasgow, who sought to create a "university" for the teaching of practical scientific and industrial subjects.
Anderson's University, subsequently renamed Anderson's College, amalagamated in 1887 with the College of Science and the Arts (once known as the Mechanics' Institution), the Young Chair of Technical Chemistry, Allan Glen's Institution and the Atkinson Institution to form the West of Scotland Technical College, subsequently the Royal Technical College and the ancestor of today's University of Strathclyde.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Anderson's College, Anderson's University, Andersonian University, education, professors, Royal Technical College, technical colleges, University of Glasgow, University of Strathclyde, West of Scotland Technical College