Construction of Glasgow Cross Station on the Caledonian Railway Co's Glasgow Central Railway, 1890s. The railway opened 1896, connecting the east and west ends of the city via Glasgow Central's low level station.
The Tolbooth and the Tolbooth Steeple dominate the scene at the corner of High Street and Trongate. To the left is the Tontine Building, complete with awnings, built as a hotel in the 18th century but later converted into a warehouse for Moore, Taggart & Co. In front of the Tontine is the statue of King William III which is now located in Cathedral Square.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
auctioneers, Caledonian Railway Co, department stores, Glasgow Central Railway, Glasgow Cross Station, horse-drawn trams, hotels, Moore, Taggart & Co, Nichol & Halliday, railway stations, statues, streetscenes, Tolbooth Steeple, Tontine Building, Tontine Hotel, tunnelling, tunnels, warehouses