Glasgow Cross from the top of the Saltmarket.
The domed building on the left is Glasgow Cross Station, built by the Caledonian Railway Co on the Glasgow Central Railway in the 1890s. The GCR connected the east end of Glasgow with the west end, travelling beneath the city centre via Central Station Low Level Station. The tunnelling work resulted in some city centre subsidence, and many tenements were so badly affected that they had to be demolished and their occupants rehoused.
Dominating the scene is the Tolbooth and Tolbooth Steeple. The Tolbooth was demolished in 1921 but the steeple remains, standing on an island amidst the traffic at the foot of the widened High Street.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Caledonian Railway Co, Glasgow Central Railway, Glasgow Cross Station, municipal buildings, pedestrians, railway stations, steeples, streetscenes, Tolbooth, Tolbooth Steeple