A row of shops in Greendyke Street, c 1894. They include J Cloggie & Sons, plasterers and slaters.
The wooden building on the left was Mumford's Theatre, also known as Mumford's Geggie (gegg is an old Scots word for a show). It was the most famous of the penny geggies that were built in the city during the 19th century, usually of timber, to provide simple, cheap and cheerful entertainment for the ordinary working man and woman. The bibulous Englishman William Mumford owned and managed the theatre from 1834 until about 1843, and it continued as a theatre until it became a clothes shop in the 1870s. The building was demolished in 1902.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
barrows, carts, clothes shops, J Cloggie & Sons, Mumford's Geggie, Mumford's Theatre, penny geggies, plasterers, slaters, streetscenes, theatres, wooden buildings