Tent Hall in Steel Street, possibly in the 1920s.
Tent Hall was built in 1876 for the United Evangelical Association, which had been meeting since 1874 in a mission tent on Glasgow Green. The Association was heavily involved in the temperance movement. On Saturday evenings, traditionally a time when many people binged on the "demon drink", the Association offered the alternative entertainment of lantern slide shows that illustrated the evils of alcohol and extolled the virtues of total abstinence.
In 2002 there were proposals to redevelop Tent Hall into loft style apartments with a private residential courtyard garden.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
alcohol, drink, drinking, evangelism, flats, lamp posts, lantern slide shows, loft style apartments, street lighting, teetotalism, temperance, Tent Hall, total abstinence, United Evangelical Association