Shuttle Lane, c 1913.
The house with the garret window was occupied by the artist William Leighton Leitch after his marriage. Leitch was born in Glasgow in 1804, the son of a manufacturer who wanted his son to study law. Leitch preferred to become an artist and by the age of 19 was working as a scene painter at the city's Theatre Royal. After a spell in Cumnock decorating snuffboxes, Leitch moved to London and was employed there as a scene painter once more. While employed at the Pavillion Theatre he met Mr Anderson, a wealthy stockbroker who became his patron. By 1841 Leitch was exhibiting his work at the Royal Academy. In 1854 he went to Italy, where he remained for five years. He returned to London well known as a watercolour painter, especially of landscapes, and became drawing master to Queen Victoria and members of her household.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
artists, drawing masters, garrets, landscape painters, painters, Pavillion Theatre, Royal Academy, scenery painters, streetscene, Theatre Royal, watercolour painters, watercolourists