The City Orphan Home at the north-west corner of St Andrew's Square, designed by Robert Bryden and opened in 1876.
From 1845 Scotland's parochial boards were given the responsibility for caring for pauper children in Glasgow. In 1853 the City Parish board set up a children's committee which attempted where possible to board them with foster families in rural areas of Scotland. Boarding out was not possible in every case, however, and the City Parish and other local boards built several orphanages in Glasgow.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
children's committees, City Orphan Home, City Parish, fostering, orphanages, orphans, parochial boards, pauper children, poor relief