Members of the St Andrew's Ambulance Association at Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
The Association was founded in Glasgow in 1882 but branches were soon set up in other towns and cities. The Association provided first aid training for volunteers and published textbooks describing how to deal with common accidents. It also purchased ambulances to transport injured and sick people to hospital. In 1948 the service was incorporated in the new National Health Service and in 1974 the "St Andrew's" was dropped from its title and it became the Scottish Ambulance Service.
Reference: PP.1990.13.2 / SP.2002.23
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
ambulance drivers, ambulances, first aid, paramedics, Royal Infirmary, Scottish Ambulance Service, St Andrew's Ambulance Association, volunteers, women